From:
LLOYDSPEAR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:03:45 -0400
Jim Fischer makes good points concerning the ability (or lack thereof) of
pollen in honey to alleviate the symptoms arising from allergic reactions to
windblown pollens.  I also agree with Jim that there may be more to this
story than is immediately evident.

I have no medical training, and my knowledge of biology is limited to the
standard stuff taught in biology 101.  With that out of the way, I have a
daughter who was (is?) allergic to just about everyone of the more than 100
substances that she was tested for AND a good customer who is an allergist.
My understanding is:

1.  A person is never 'cured' of an allergy.  However, various treatments
may result in that person no longer displaying allergic symptoms such as
eyes watering, runny nose, hives, headaches, etc.  Relief from the symptoms
would make the typical person very happy.  Otherwise, they don't really care
if they are medically allergic.

2.  When one is told that they are allergic to ragweed pollen (or any other
pollen), this is just shorthand for saying "by testing, we have found that
you are allergic to ragweed pollen.  'However, ragweed pollen contains
several ingredients that are also found in other pollens, so you are highly
likely to also be allergic to ingredients in other pollens that are not
found in ragweed.  'While it is impractical for us to test you for reactions
to all pollens or to find out just which pollen ingredients are producing
the allergy, we can relieve your symptoms in a variety of ways."  The
prescription drug way of relieving those symptoms is through use of
histamines.

Histamines are more (over-the-counter type) or less (prescription only)
generalized.  They will relieve the symptoms (and all have some side
effects) but not prevent the production of allergens which, in turn, produce
the symptoms.  The only way to reduce the production of allergens ("cure")
is through gradual exposure to the underlying ingredients so that the immune
system no longer recognizes them as 'foreign'.

An allergist who is a customer tells me that consuming pollen in honey MAY
mean that persons initially allergic to windborne pollens become immune.
Whether they no longer show allergic symptoms will depend on how much pollen
they consume as well as the ingredients of the pollen in the honey.  He buys
my honey for his wife who is so allergic that unless her symptoms are
relieved she may as well just stay in bed for 3-4 weeks every August!  He
and his wife moved to this area from California (where she had the same
problem and used the same 'treatment') about 5 years ago.  The first year
she suffered but by the second she had become acclimated to the local
pollens and since has not had any difficulties.

I have sent a blind copy of this message to my customer, and invited him to
add comments or correct my feeble way of explaining what is a complicated
subject.  I hope I have helped beekeepers understand just 'why' consumption
of local honey seems to help so much.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, manufacturer of comb honey equipment
for beekeepers and Sundance pollen traps.
http://www.rossrounds.com