From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2015 10:28:41 -0400

> When traz resistance becomes a problem I will switch to other products and
> stop its use.  Until then I see no reason to not use it as part of my
> treatment program.  I must use something.

I'm not claiming you shouldn't treat. I'm not even saying there is anything
wrong with amitraz in particular. But you don't see a problem with the
mentality that you *know *a treatment will eventually fail, but you
continue to use it today without a full grasp of the long term effects the
treatment will have on the hive? Without a long term plan for dealing with
varroa?

Fluvalinate was widely used, until it began to fail. So the industry
immediately switched to Coumaphos, until that began to fail. Then they
switch to amitraz, until that begins to fail. Nearly a decade after
Fluvalinate has been used in a hive, wax from foundation still tests
positive for it, which has long lasting effects on the bees. Each time you
switch treatments you aren't maintaining the status quo.

Each time, like a drowning man in the sea, when the temporary flotation
device begins to fail they flail and grab at the first flotation device
that drifts by, not caring if that will last them 3 min or 3 years. But
eventually it will fail.

There has to be a better way than grasping for the next treatment.