From:
"Paul Cronshaw, D.C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 22:13:30 -0800
Glen,

I have been taking bees out of walls for several years using the bait hive
technique.

Basically you need wire mesh which covers the opening and tapers to a thin
point that accomodates an exiting bee.  This is a one way street out of the
wall.

Place (on a ladder or supporting from overhang) a nuc ( 2-3 frames of bees
and queen) near the wire exit , the closer the better.

Over 4-6 weeks the wall bees will move in with the bait hive bees and the
colony in the wall will die out.

Then you can remove the wire mesh and let the bees rob out the honey..
(might not want to do this because of disease transmittal etc) or leave as
is and let the ants and wax moths take out the comb.

Make sure you plug up the wall really well or a future swarm will move back in.

BTW. Many cities will require a contractor's license to remove the wall

Paul Cronshaw DC
Hobby beekeeper in Santa Barbara,CA

******