From:
Karen Kimball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 2009 08:48:36 -0400
I have been reading the archives about wrapping, insulating and wind protection and have questions.

Sorry I lost where this quote came from.

>Even if hives survive here without wrapping, careful tests have shown me
>that the ones which were only insulated on top, and covered with plastic
>on the sides do not yield as many spring splits as the ones that have at
>least R5 on the sides.

What material gives an R5 for wrapping? Black tar paper?
There are very few hives I feel a need to wrap. If some have small cracks I plan to use duct tape. The equipment is old and some of the edges of the boxes are a little rotten or chipped, I will be using allot of duct tape. I plan to start this next week the weatherman promises a few mild days.

Insulting the top?
Our hives all have inner covers made from masonite with a notch in the wood frame and a rather large center hole to let out moisture, the outer covers are telescoping. How do you fit insulation between them or are you speaking of putting the insulation on the top of the outer cover? What product is used whether it be on the inner or on the top cover?

Wind?
I think we have a group of hives that are going to get an amount of wind. Would snow fencing be adequate as a wind break? Or should I move those hives to a more protected area when I know the bees have clustered. They are on a knoll in a field with only a couple of pear trees around them so no wind break. Can bring them to the hedge row on the upper end of the field with out loosing fliers? Is there a point where they will not fly so a short move, about 700 yards is ok?

Karen