From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2013 09:55:31 -0500
> The other interesting point here was that Sulfa, despite a wide range of unenlightened misuse and abuse, did not create resistant AFB.

I thought this was true but never really looked into it. Turns out not so.

> OTC- and sulfathiazole-resistance in P. larvae has become widespread (Evans, 2003; Lodesani and Costa, 2005; Miyagi et al., 2000; Mussen, 2000; Piccini and Zunino, 2001) making new searches for alternative antibiotics already necessary.
Genersch (2009) American Foulbrood in honeybees and its causative agent, Paenibacillus larvae

> Sulphonamides suffer from increased bacterial resistance and high toxicity. In the 1990s all the isolates tested in Germany were classified as resistant to this class of drugs.
Lodesani, et al (2006) LIMITS OF CHEMOTHERAPY IN BEEKEEPING: DEVELOPMENT OF RESISTANCE AND THE PROBLEM OF RESIDUES

Tylosin was proposed against AFB as early as 1970, and resistance to Sulfa was seen as early as 1960

> Popa (1960) reported that 1 strain of B. larvae of the 27 studied was resistant to sulfathiazole. Similarly, Schulz-Langner (1960) reported that 1 strain was resistant to sulfathiazole. Therefore, since bacteria can develop
strains resistant to specific drugs, it is important to find alternative drugs that may be useful in controlling AFB.
HITCHCOCK, et al (1970) Tylosin for Control of American Foulbrood Disease in Honey Bees