From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 08:35:57 -0700

>  If I were the USDA-ARS I would ask for their research and then take
> further. Why waste years doing the early research?

Bob, I appreciate your report on the nosema tape.  I was there, and have
spent time with the Spanish researchers, and corresponded with them
extensively.  The US researchers are not as ignorant as you imply, and have
taken note of the Spanish work.  US researchers are currently trying to
confirm the pathogenicity of N ceranae in North America.

The answer does not appear to be simple.  In my current trial of 7 different
treatments given to N ceranae-infected colonies in fall and spring, the
results are surprising me.  I have not yet made final spore counts, but no
single treatment stands out as being particularly effective.

Supplemental feeding of a pollen substitute gives initial indications of
helping.

Some colonies appear to be able to recover from N ceranae better than
others, regardless of treatment.  However, this may be a case of Higes'
"false recovery"--I'm going to track.

To my eye, it appears that viruses are a larger issue in the nosema-infected
colonies.  I'm currently having tests run.

The answers to collapses do not appear to be as simple as simply being N
ceranae.

Randy Oliver