From:
Paul Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 1995 12:47:01 GMT
In message <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

<snip>

> Date:    Wed, 8 Nov 1995 18:11:16 -0500
> From:    Ian Stuart McLean <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Too much - UK involvement in Bee-L?

<stuff deleted>

> My work remit includes education in disease control and Spray poisoning liaison,
> primarily to my UK Region. We plan our own FAQ files indeed I'll be writing some
> this winter, would they be of benefit to Bee-L users?
> The spread of varroosis Northwards and its current devastating effect in the South of
> the UK where it has been established for a few years are the hot topics in the UK.
> Would Bee-L subscribers welcome a UK Newsletter?
>
> I'll answer any queries, direct on a mperson to person basis.
>
> Yours           Ian.
>
> [log in to unmask]  - Northern Regional Bee Inspector, UK -  Bee Curious
> phone/fax 01704 822831
> snailmail 'Asland' Flash Lane, Rufford, Ormskirk, Lancs, L40 1SW  - UK.

<snip>

Ian,

*YES PLEASE*

As a Bedfordshire (UK) based beekeeper who has recently learned that Varroa has
been reported about 6 miles away in Dunstable, I would *VERY* much like to
receive information on beekeeping issues in the UK.

IMHO - I believe that there is a need for beekeeping information at the national
level, just as there is a need for information which is relevant to a particular
beekeepers interests/level of expertise, but I do not believe that splitting
BEE-L is the answer. Both BEE-L and sci.agriculture.beekeeping provide very good
forums for international exchange of information and I wouldn't want to lose
that resource. I suspect that the real question that is being asked here is not
whether to split the existing groups, but whether there is sufficient support
for a UK based one. If there is, then lets get on with it. If there isn't, then
can we please move on and have some discussion about beekeeping in this
newsgroup.

--
Paul Walton
Email       : [log in to unmask]