From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2017 09:09:45 -0400
Question for Charles and others - I came across an interesting finding by Delaplane in one of his papers on co-infections.

His data is suggesting that varroa populations decrease as SHB populations increase.  My question is have any of you seen anything in your infected yards that could substantiate his finding?

Here's his statement:

>What stands out in the present data is the finding that average colony varroa numbers decreased as apiary A. tumida levels increased. Because A. tumida levels were established within apiary, these results represent the average varroa numbers across colonies receiving all varroa miticide treatments, so it is reliably an A. tumida effect.

Delaplane, K. S., Ellis, J. D. & Hood, W. M. A test for interactions between Varroa destructor (Acari: Varroidae) and Aethina tumida (Coleoptera: Nitidulidae) in colonies of honey bees (Hymenoptera: Apidae). Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 103, 711–715 (2010).  (open source)

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire CT
Northeast US