From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:00:16 -0400
Hello All,
Allen Dick wrote:
Success can prove the *process*,but proving the theory will require better
observation and analysis than has taken place thus far.

I would have to say after doing as much research over the years on cell size
as most of the people involved in the small cell discussion that i would
have to agree with the above statement. I believe Dee has proven the
*process* and hope to add my name to the list. My bees are on the 5.2mm cell
size as are 10,000 frames of Allen Dicks. I would encourage all beekeepers
when replacing comb to use the 5.2mm cell size. Then a one step down could
be had. Maybe not a perfect step down as from 5.0mm to 4.9mm was for Dee
Lusby. Many of the posts by Barry and Allen give web sites showing you the
measure process. 5.3mm and up foundation is still available around the
world. If you are even thinking of a step down please heed my advice. In my
own experiance varroa infests my hives at the same level on the 5.2mm as the
5.3mm and up.
 I see no difference on untreated colonies on comb of 5.2mm and up. We left
130 hives with zero treatment of any kind this spring except for nosema.
They had a good mite control last fall . In the spring i checked for
tracheal mites by microscope and found about a 5% infestation. I found a
heavy amount of nosema so we treated with fumidil B. We didn't see
where treating with fumidil B would effect our mite testing. These are not
my bees but a close friends. The hives did produce honey but about half a
crop. We are starting to test hives now and seeing huge infestations of
varroa in ALL colonies. To early to tell if any are varroa tolerant but from
the numbers we are getting in the rolls i would say they are not grooming
many off. We are fighting to save the majority of colonies. We are using
apicure to test its effectiveness. The above is the way larger beekeepers
test. I have got a 100 hives coumaphous treated next to his and another
beekeeper has a hundred with apistan strips next to ours. The point i am
trying to make is these kinds of tests are being done by beekeepers around
the world. We are willing to share information but believe our results are
as valid as the U.S.D.A.'s. My interest in small cell size is not to prove a
theory to the world. My interest is as is Dees to find a way to return
beekeeping back to the days when you could sit a hive of bees in your back
yard and not do all the testing,treating with chemicals,be confident they
will requeen when they swarm and look in and  see white comb being drawn
again. I assure you low honey prices is not the only reason why many
beekeepers have left the craft.
If success can prove the *process*(Allen Dick BEE-L 9-11- 2000) then i
expect the movement to small size to be gradual as was the movement to large
cell. The movement to large cell was done without proving the theory except
for a few researchers which disected and measured and concluded the bees had
enlarged in five areas and the tounge was indeed longer. Estimates on size
increase varied from 3% to 17%. If those reducing like Dee did are succesful
then others will change over. The old watchers and the doers senario.
In my opinion and based on the results of our tests in Missouri i personally
believe our course will be to try small cell instead of breeding from
survivors.
 In 1994 at the ABF convention in Orlando< Florida I talked to a beekeeper
from Wisconsin which had got varroa in fall of 1997. A third generation
beekeeper. Grandpa said to let the hives alone and breed from the suvivors.
They dropped from 2000 colonies to less then 200 when the decided "Bad
idea". Their experiment was more than i could afford. The real test of small
cell size is in commercial yards such as Dees. I see no need to repeat Dees
experiments(although not U.S.D.A. documented). Myself i will step down
enough colonies to prove her theory to myself and am willing to share the
rusults(although not U.S.D.A.documented)but what you choose to do is your
business. I am ready to close the debate on small cell until i have further
information but sure the debate will fire up again. The above are my beliefs
and why i believe them. We still need orders for the 4.9mm foundation to get
the process sterted at Dadant. [log in to unmask]   Mr. Jerry Hayes.
I apologise for my spelling and grammer in posts. I only have a high school
education and was looking out the window through most of high school
thinking about my bees.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Busy Bee Acres inc.