From:
Ken Hoare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 13:10:34 -0000
Ernest Gregoire states that queen introduction is easier in the Spring than
during the Fall (Autumn in the UK).

Is this yet another variation between our climates as I have found the exact
opposite applies. As the strip of water between Tom and me is considerably
less than between Ernest and both of us in the British Isles and Ireland,
would/should the experience of Ernest apply to us?

The problems that I have experienced with Spring introductions is coinciding
with any swarm preparations that the colony may be making, but generally
these can also be overcome by using, as Ernest states, the safest method
possible - the introduction into a nucleus (always advocated by that great
queen breeder in Ireland, Michael Macgiolla Coda, and by the late Brother
Adam in Devon).

Apologies to my UK beekeeping friends, (that includes Tom and Chris) too
busy to dig out my copy of Wedmore but no doubt they will.

Ken Hoare
Shropshire, UK