From:
JamesCBach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JamesCBach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 13:26:31 -0800
Lori Quillen asks about the history of bee protection.

From Washington State:  I was told when I went to work for the Department of
Agriculture in 1977 that bee protection efforts started with the
introduction of Sevin dust as an insecticide on sweet corn (late 60's early
70's?), and maybe other crops at the same time.  The dust was put on with
aircraft and it landed on corn tassels and other plant parts as a control
for corn ear worm.  The bees picked it up in their pollen collecting
behavior and carried it back to the hive where it was stored with pollen in
the comb.  In this location it killed bees until all the contaminated pollen
was used as bee food or the combs were removed from the hive by the
beekeeper.

Though the original discussions was mainly about commercial colonies of Apis
Mellifera they also included concerns about native pollinators.  EPA in
recent discussions have reaffirmed their interest in protecting all
pollinators.  Their words were:  If we protect honey bees we will protect
other pollinators at the same time.

James C. Bach