From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 21:44:05 +0900
>   One must remember that the only power the bureaucrats have it the power to
>say no.
>   I keep 24 hives in Connecticut and the last involvement wanted other than
>registering with the state entomologist for hive inspection is with the local
>apparatchiks.
>    Urban beekeeping is more like hey buddy  you garden -got room for a
>couple hives?

Very true - our Council has regulations that bees cannot be kept in
residential areas without Council permission - but if permission can be
refused without any reasons being given, is there any value in asking?

 I receive referrals from the Council to collect swarms and solve feral hive
problems so if I have a hive or two around the back yard this is assumed to
be short term storage.  It is important always to have a reserve site for
removal of hives to in the event of unwelcome interest.

Since all hives are registered with the State Primary Industry Apiaries
Officer, surely the local council should leave enforcement to this department.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
j.h. & e. mcadam<[log in to unmask]