From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2007 11:32:58 -0400
Mike Stoops wrote:

> QUERY:  Had the Israelies imported bees from Austrailia at the time of, or prior to, the kill-offs which led to the discovery of IAPV?  From where does the virus seem to originate?
An additional question. With all the more refined tests for virus, did
it exist before it was found in Israel? The only reason it is called
IAPV is because of where it was first discovered. It could have been
around for years, even in the US. It might even be world-wide and a
"normal" bee virus since disappearing disease has existed before CCD
with all the same symptoms as CCD.

We tend to treat things that are "discovered" as if they did not exist
before they were discovered.

Plus, knowing the way virus operate, it could even be an old virus. like
KBV, that has changed. Think flu.

Injecting bees with KBV would get similar kills as IAPV, BTW.

The larger problem is IAPV does not cause CCD or disappearing disease
symptoms! It is just that it is present.There is a lot of stretching
going on to pin the tail on the donkey. Operates with something else
like mites (but we know what happens with mites) or pesticide (but we
know pesticide symptoms) or it has mutated in the US so symptoms are
different..

There is, of course, a major problem with the fact that 96 or whatever
percent of infected bees have IAPV present so it may be causitive. All
bees infected with CCD also have wings, ergo wings may be causative of CCD.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine