From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 20:00:22 +0900
Lawrence Cook wrote:

>On starting a new hive is it better to keep them crowded  for a month or
>so (in one brood box) or should I give them plenty of room. Keep them
>crowded always ?

I would leave them in one box until you have at least 5 full frames of
sealed brood well covered by bees.  At this stage a super can be provided.
If using a queen excluder then you must keep checking the brood box to
ensure the queen has laying space available, moving any surplus honey frames
up to the super if you are not ready to take it from the hive.  Bees are
extremely sociable and can appear very crowded but as the brood takes 4
weeks to emerge and there is constant attrition of field bees, it is
advisable to ensure there are enough bees of various ages to tackle the
extra work before you add the extra space.  I do leave my established hives
over winter with a super because the climate is mild enough that they can
store honey for a good part of the winter season.  In colder climates it is
important not to give the bees too much space to warm.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
j.h. & e. mcadam<[log in to unmask]