From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 17:53:25 -0800
At 10:55 AM 3/23/98 +1200, you wrote:
>one essential is connection to the city sewer system for all waste, & the
city
>engineers are worried about wax build up in my household sewer pipe
>(causing blockages) as a result. they don't seem too perturbed about the main
>city sewer pipes.

If the city is not worried about their pipes then do nothing more then take
normal care. Pressing the issue can cost you much in capital as you could
be forced to install expensive "solid" waste or grease traps that can not
be justified with a small operation or paid for by it.

>has anyone had this kind of experience b4? how can one deal with any wax
>sweepings so they won't cause blockages?

Keep the sweeping out of the drain is the simple and I hope normal solution
to your problem. That nasty looking wax that gets on the floor in a large
commercial plant is pure or mostly pure bees wax and can be salvaged to
bring in welcome cash. It may look bad but believe me it's worth the effort
to save.

>any info greatly appreciated.

In the country I have a wax sump that everything runs into before it
reaches the leach lines. It can be cleaned out as necessary or can be left
for years if it is big enough. In my newer honey house I did nothing but
did make the drains so they can be cleaned out for two directions. Most
problems can be cured with a garden hose, and the most difficult can be
cured with a steam cleaner.

The worst problem I ever had was when a spotted skunk made its way from the
outside to the grate on the floor drain and died plugging up the flow of
water the next time we extracted honey.

You bet it was a real gut wrenching experience to reach into the pipe up to
one's elbow to remove its remains. After that I made sure nothing could get
into the drain system from outside the building.

ttul, the OLd Drone
home in on:
http://209.76.50.54