From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2017 00:19:28 +1100
>  I have found that hives placed around any quantity of watermelons, squash
> or cantaloupe (I would guess this list could be expanded) will have
> significant problems with shb.

What problems do you see?

I don't see any problems, and nor do my colleagues, with SHB unless there is
already a problem, ie, hopelessly queenless, or severe disease.  I see no
evidence of SHB breeding in functioning hives, plenty of beetles but no
larvae.  It appears the beetle continually lay eggs and the bees continually
remove them.  But as soon as a hive does not get its replacement queen away
the hive stops functioning and policing the beetle eggs there is a massive
hatch in a couple of days, and an attendant massive mess.  Mostly, but not
always.

Initially we had a problem with increase and mating nucs.  Now instead of
using empty combs to make up the spaces we use foundation.  We have been
able to go back to the old idea if I want to, of one frame of brood and one
frame of honey plus foundation.  When the bees want more comb they draw it
and put something in it, thus depriving beetles of a refuge.

A mate uses underfloor traps which do trap beetles, but it is a rare
occurrence to see even a single larva in them.

> Gena  I use the simple rule of thumb if crops or weeds grow well,  so will
> SHB..... areas that go dormant a lot or need irragation are better for
> reducing beetles

So far I have been unable to see any pattern as to soil type, or indeed
vegetation.  Apparent numbers in a hive vary in the site; often it seems
that the strongest have the most beetles.

I am inclined to equate some beekeepers attitude to beetles the same as a
cattleman, who finding a dead cow in a paddock, blames the cloud of
blowflies for the death.

Geoff Manning
The eastern bulge of Australia,
Sub tropical climate.