From:
Pollinator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 09:20:42 EST
In a message dated 98-01-08 07:44:02 EST, [log in to unmask] (Constill) writes:

<<  Honey should never be given to infants because of the presence of botulism
 spores could be toxic!! >>

    Botulism spores are everywhere.  And babies put *everything* into their
mouths.

    The problem is that infant digestive systems are not acid until they begin
solid foods. Acid environments will prevent the growth of botulism.

   Honey, or any syrup or sweetener, when diluted with infant digestive
juices, will provide an ideal medium for the growth of botulism. The spores
can come from the honey, or syrup, the baby's fingers, or the pacifier that
was dropped on the floor, or anywhere. The botulism grows and makes its
poisons, causing illness or death.

    It is not a common problem. Good sanitation is an important safeguard, but
no one can sterilize everything perfectly. Parents can do everything they can,
but babies, siblings, or even other careless adults can undo the safeguards,
just like the kid I watched in the grocery store, who stuffed the dropped
pacifier back into the fussy baby's mouth.

    I agree that honey should not be given to infants. Better to be safe than
sorry.

    But the blame on honey approaches hysteria with some folks. The person who
first discussed botulism and honey in my hearing spent a lot of energy
badmouthing honey. I think she personally did not like it. Hundreds of
thousands of babies were raised on formula, sweetened with honey, before any
such warnings were made, and did just fine. The actual connection with honey
in any real cases is anecdotal and not solidly established.

   Parents should be taught about the mechanism of botulism growth. I was not
made aware of this, until I was past child rearing. We home canned also, and
probably made some mistakes, because we simply were not aware. Maybe education
is better today, but I doubt it.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm