From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:25:38 -0700
--- Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> For years I have fought tracheal mites(TM) but I am
> the *only* beekeeper in
> my area which treats for TM. If all of us treated
> then I would think I would
> have less of a problem.

I was under the impression the TM problem was long
solved. From my understanding, there is a belief
amongst the breeders in the Northeast that TM are not
a problem, and resistance is easily gained thru
breeding (at least the major Northeastern breeders I
have talked with told me so).  I haven’t seen TM
related symptoms in ferals, nor in any of my colonies
(which are never treated for anyting) since about
2003,

My question is, why is there a great discrepancy
between those believing that resistance is easily
bred, and those that believe TM must be treated for?
Is one option any better than the other long term?

Best Wishes,
Joe Waggle
Pennsylvania

“In curious cells the bees digest their spoil,
When vernal sunshine animates their toil“.-Meleager
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles