From:
Jorn Johanesson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 02:51:48 +0100
> For a simple record-keeping, such as you describe, you can use Microsoft
> Excel Spread Sheet.  You don't have to buy anything if your computer came
> with this program preinstalled.  The program is easy to figure out, as
> well.

There is just one thing about using excel as a hivenote software. Excel is
build for accounting purposes, and for that matter not the best tool.

First of you have to figure out what data you want to record.

then you have to decide if you want to let data go for hives or for a whole
beeyard or specific hives.

now you have to insert rows as you work on.

Access is a database tool and much better for this purpose, but you have to
know something of relational databases how to set those up and how to figure
out how to search and maintain.

You will also dubbel your work by first have the data recorded on paper in
the beeyard and then on the computer. Visiting lets say a 100 hives a day it
will give you plenty of paper and computer work.

Now at the end of season you have to compare all of those recorded data to
get an overview and to plan next season.

I can tell you this is not an easy work.

Even if I have been working with databases for many years, and even are
using a Palm handheld I have enough work to do by recording my lousy 30
hives. But the database I have created should satisfy most people. Special
after I made it possible to alter nearly everything. I have also created a
hivenotecard that can be printed out. Here you also can alter the headings
to your need and it will also give you an idea of what we here in Denmark
find is worth  making notes about.

There is of course differences between American and European ways of
maintaining bees, but basically the work is the same.

Best regards
Jorn Johanesson

Multilingual software for beekeeping since 1997

hive note- queen breeding and handheld computer beekeeping software

Now with extreem filtering and search facilities and free of charge for up
to 10 hives.

you can use it full for thirty days. It will not expire but just close some
failities down that I have paid for.

home page = HTTP://apimo.dk
e-mail [log in to unmask]