From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2007 04:45:49 -0700
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:It is incumbant on those doing the selection to avoid such problems by
not making simplistic or 'favourite' choices and arming themselves with
enough knowledge to make better choices,
    .
What are the things we bee breeders, both hobbyests and commercial, need to keep in mind and select for in selecting our best queens as foundation stock for better bee genetics?  I can list a few things.  The rest of you add what things you would consider as important to "improve" the stock we work with.

gentleness;  good honey production;  strong, early population buildup for the main honey flow;  resistance to various diseases and pests;  low swarming characteristics.

What else?  Take the list above and add to it.  Repost so others can comment and add to it or detract.

How does one go about selecting for "all" of these various characteristics without minimizing other characteristics?  From what I can see, bee breeding ain't an easy task.

Mike in LA

 Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.