From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 2015 21:27:25 -0400
Thanks to Dr. Wahl for putting some "informed" back into the discussion,
despite being trolled and heckled.

> Suchail points out that the metabolites are
> MORE toxic than the original IMI and are
> responsible for extended chronic (but not acute) toxicity.

...and goes on in the next sentence to say something that has not prompted
any action to date:

"Moreover, this study also suggests the existence of other imidacloprid
metabolites. It would be interesting to characterise all imidacloprid
metabolites in honeybees after oral intoxication by imidacloprid to obtain
the whole metabolic profile. Furthermore, locating all the residues in
different compartments of honeybees could help us to understand the mode of
action of imidacloprid by correlating the pharmacokinetics
and the pharmacodynamics of imidacloprid in honeybees."

Full text pdf:
http://www.pcelinjak.hr/OLD/images/stories/test2/aaa/suchail_03_lc_ms-ms_2.p
df
http://tinyurl.com/qhpz4sj

This positing of "other" metabolites should be of great interest to all, as
isotope tracing is not going to reliably show all the metabolites.  You'd
need HPLC-MS, mass analysis (or NMR) for structural info for ID and some
software - "MetaboliteID" or "Mass Profiler Pro".  But no one has sat down
and looked at this, as everyone has assumed that the metabolites were all
well-known.

We have to get better at understanding this low-level stuff, but the few who
can educate us will only take so much abuse before they simply avoid
beekeepers as a whole as a result of being shouted down.

There are many unexpected findings cropping up all the time, for example,
this:
http://www.cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822%2815%2901109-4
http://tinyurl.com/plauwe5
If the guys who study monkeys can be taken by surprise, so can we.