From:
Blane White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:08:55 -0500
Hi Stan,
You hit the nail on the head.  Our honey is mainly produced from clover and basswood both of which are slower to granulate.  I do understand where you are coming from and in general don't disagree but here we have an exception in our food law that specifically allows the sale of what are considered to be " raw agricultural products " by producers of those products.  This only applies to "raw" not to products "processed in any way.  Our food inspection people consider liquid extracted honey to be a " raw agricultural product" as they consider extracting and filtering to be part of the harvesting and therefore not "processing".  As soon as you do anything to the liquid harvested honey you are "processing" it and the exception does not apply.
We can both get a chuckle out of it and beekeepers can sell their honey.

blane

Blane White
MN Dept of Agriculture