From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 2009 20:19:24 -0700
>He said he lost a lot of hives this fall.

Hi Bob.  I've also heard a lot of reports of poor colonies, plus major mite
problems as last year's miticides fail.  Also hearing that due to the late
crop in the Midwest, that some beeks left a super on after pulling honey, in
order to get a bit more honey off the alfalfa that was still in bloom.
Shoulda treated for mites instead, because they got eaten alive!

>he said those beekeepers which lost hives were discussing neonicotinoid
> treated corn as a possible source of the die off as their area

I'm not interested in killing any messengers  : )
I was speaking to a beekeeper who observes that the cluster avoids frames of
corn pollen.  I'm curious about that observation.  Bob, have you noticed
that historically, or lately?

Another question for you:  since this was such a wet summer in many areas,
huge amounts of fungicides were sprayed on crops.  The effects showed up as
spotty brood (and perhaps colony loss when the bees later dug into the
contaminated pollen.  Do they use any fungicides on field corn or soybeans
in your area?

Check these out:
"scouting corn fields prior to an application of a foliar fungicide
application can be a worthwhile investment. Fields should be scouted *near
or at tasseling*. A minimum of 100 leaves should be examined per field. At
several places within the field, examine the ear leaf and leaves below of
several plants to determine if disease is present. If foliar disease is
present on the majority of these leaves, a foliar fungicide application may
be warranted." [italics mine]
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/CropNews/2009/0706robertsonmueller.htm

and...

"With the weather so wet and soybean price so high, it is a no brainer to
conclude that spray fungicides this season can control soybean foliar
disease and increase yields.

"We had debates on the use of fungicide in other years, and this year would
be the year to see the benefits unless we are fooled by Mother Nature and
the rest of season becomes hot and dry. The diseases have already
established in many soybean fields and could become worse in the late
season, like what happened in 1993.  The chance to see yield benefits from a
spray so far is much higher than most normal years."
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/CropNews/2008/0708xbyang.htm

Again, I've got an article in the next ABJ which speaks about fungicide
issues.  Note that there have been observed fungicide/pesticide synergies
(and fungicide/miticide, too).  I feel that beekeepers may wish to pay
attention to fungicides!

Randy Oliver