From:
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:45:13 -0700
We have tested for negative effects of fields, etc.  I'm not at liberty to
say how the antennae would be made, but it is small and bonded to the bee -
the technology has been tested, and it doesn't involve glue and doesn't
hurt the bee.

The goal is a 1 mg tag+antennae, about the thickness of a piece of foil.

But, as many point out, the development cost is prohibitive at this time.
Again, we are looking at a product for folks with 1,000-15,000 hives where
finding the queen is only part of the equation - the objective is to be
able to capture records to fine tune production, queen selection,
inventory, etc.

For 1-2 hives, or even thousands, if all you want to do is ping the queen,
then the metal detector approach may be fine- but I suspect sensitivity
will be a challenge.  Any metal detector sensitive enough to pick up metal
in paint will ping on every nail in the box and anything on the beekeepers.
 Need very fine tuning - let me know if you can fine tune to this degree,
we may have a project.

Thanks

Jerry

Jerry J. Bromenshenk