From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 2015 11:19:04 -0400
At the 2014 WAS Conference in Missoula, MT I and Frank Linton hosted the 2nd International Workshop on Hive and Bee Monitoring.  Two years earlier in Vermont at EAS, Frank Linton hosted the first Hive Monitoring Workshop.  The first workshop had a small number of presenters, the 2nd had many more, and I and Frank have located at least 30 companies entering the field.  Malcolm Sanford published a two-piece article on the WAS workshop presentations in Bee Culture last December/January.

When the conference dust settled, I and my team members sat down to get a better fix on this emerging area of technology that is posed to change bee research and management.  That resulted in nearly a year-long effort, a historical review, and 116 references.  Is it complete - no!   The topic is an escalating and moving target.  I see new things showing up all the time, two in last month.  But, I think  it's a reasonable start, and importantly, we've tried to credit the original innovators before they are forgotten.

We published the Review as an Invited Paper to BIOSENSORS, an ON LINE Journal, so that everyone can access it.  It was published today.

Bees as Biosensors: Chemosensory Ability, Honey Bee Monitoring Systems, and Emergent Sensor Technologies Derived from the Pollinator Syndrome
Jerry J. Bromenshenk 1,2,*                                                                                                  ,                Colin B. Henderson 1,3,                Robert A. Seccomb 1,                Phillip M. Welch 1,                Scott E. Debnam 1,2 and          David R. Firth 1,4

http://www.mdpi.com/2079-6374/5/4/678

Also, I will be at t California Beekeeping Conference next month and will be talking about the current status of our work on exploring  uses of IR cameras for bee management.  I'll be there with cameras, so you can try them out.

J.J. Bromenshenk
Bee Alert
Missoula, Mt