From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 22:55:47 -0500
I Marian Piltilie wrote:

 >Other personal curiosity was wether in the world exist other
 >types of honey which not cristalize. Now I know about blue and
 >Pink Gum . Are any others?

    Tupelo gum honey, if it is very pure, is extremely slow to crystalize.
Our tupelo from this area has some other nectars in it and this year's crop
has turned to thick slurry in just the last couple weeks.  There is an area
of north Florida, which produces a very pure tupelo, that is in much demand,
because it lasts for years.

   I have some real nice black locust honey from the Finger Lakes area of NY,
and it does not yet have any crystals.  It will eventually, but it also seems
slow.

   Black locust is not native to this area (coastal SC), though there are a
few planted trees in yards and it always draws a lot of bees.

   Sourwood is reputed to be slow to crystalize. The sourwood I have produced
has always crystalized, so I guess it isn't too pure. There are a lot of
beans raised in the mountain valley where I put the bees for sourwood.

   In past years, it seems that the blackberry honey has been quick to
crystalize. I just opened a drum of it from this spring, and there were only
a few crystals in the bottom. So it definitely varies from year to year.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm