From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 14:17:43 -0500
> However, regarding some cans of creosote and PCP, in my town in MT, they
> have an annual roundup of small amounts of toxic/hazmat wastes

All the small cities near me have similar days. Tires are the most common
thing brought in and I believe fifty cents a tire is charged. The lines can
be long I have been told but many volunteers show up to help speed the
process. My help or my neighbor has taken our recycles.

I FINALLY quit bringing home truck tires which might have a few miles of use
left when I bought new tires. Now a days I buy new tires  but I can remember
days all I could afford in beekeeping was other peoples cast off tires.
Bought tires one tire at a time! Ran retreads on the back.

We called those "may pops" and those tires had the warranty which ended as
you pulled out on the street!

The first honey we sold brought nine cents a pound or around sixty dollars
for a 55 gallon drum. (and we thought beekeeping was a damn gold mine). My
first flatbed had a new bed and paint job and cost around a $125. My first
strong hives were around $10 a hive in like new equipment.

> I'm sure many, if not all of us, on this list, who do our own vehicle
> maintenance, used to change oil and then pour the old oil on the
> driveway,

I never did but found trying to recycle oil at the various stations ( with a
five gallon limit) a problem. First the five gallon pail was full and then
the Wal Mart employees pointed to a large container with a small fill hole.
Many times the tank was full waiting for the recycler.

So I found a service station which burned recycled oil for his oil furnace.
Now I dump the oil from my trucks in a 55 gallon drum and unload at his
place. I use the forklift but if farmers have a way to get the drum on a
truck the station manager has a way to slide off on his lift and unload. The
station owner lets people donating oil dump oil in his open top drums which
is fairly easy for most people and if he is around he will dump the oil for
you. He will not pay you for the oil ( however I am still looking for a
buyer).

Ask around if you live in an area with winter and maybe you can find one of
these people. I found two in a few hours.  five gallon pails are easy to
dump in an open top drum.

Please recycle!

I think the Sierra club would revoke my membership if they heard I was
dumping motor oil on the ground.

bob