From:
Franklin Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 21:39:10 -0400
I have been  following the discussions regarding medications.  I have read
some very good advice to the beginners on dosages and how to.  However I do
not think enough emphasis has been placed on when not to medicate.  No
medication should be on the hive when usable honey is being produced.
 NONE!!!!!  I personally remove all medication 4 weeks prior to putting on
supers that will be used to produce salable honey.  I know that some
medications can stay longer but  I do it this way to be safe.

Someone asked why not leave Apistan on for 60 days.   The answer I have
gotten in several instances is that Apistan starts to weaken at some point
but it will remain at full strength for a full 45 days.   If it is left on
 and becomes weak,  the mites could become tolerant to it. If  they become
tolerant,  they will soon become immune and it will no longer kill them.  So
a good rule to follow is to remove Apistain among 40 to 45 days.

Frank Humphrey