Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:31:48 GMT
>>"While a decrease in total losses is encouraging, the rate of
loss remains unsustainable as the average operational loss
increased from 31% in 2007/2008 to 34.2% in the
2008/2009 winter."

I think such loss rates are big and should be taken seriously.  However, before the press cries we are losing *all* the bees, they should take into account the possible colony replenishment rates.  Any beekeeper can raise extra queens each year to have replacement colonies for any losses.  Overwintering nucs can be turned into colonies in the spring to satisfy a timely supply.

Sure, this used to be unnecessary and represents an added cost but it ensures a steady supply of bees at least as far as pollination needs are concerned.  Pollination costs and therefore food prices go up but both continue to happen.

That's the reality.  Naturally, this is not an ideal situation and we should continue to strive for healtier bees and better beekeeping.

Waldemar