Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2013 08:34:22 -0600
>> ...bare aluminum is found in many extractors and has been
>> considered to be harmless by most...

> I would worry about it. Honey is acidic.... I would agree to consult
> with local authorities. I would be interested to know the answer.

Well, last I looked, bare aluminum parts are in currently in direct
contact with honey in many if not most commercial beekeeping extraction
lines currently in use in Alberta, so if it is a problem, the Canadian
Food Infection Agency does not seem to be concerned.

The question here was about a small extractor used by a bee club.  I
cannot imagine how an aluminum part in their extractor could possibly be
an issue, coated or not.

This is a typical case of where an almost infinitesimal risk has been
blown far out of proportion and an great example of how the
precautionary principle can be used to distract people from far greater
risks.

The real question is what these greater risks might be.  I think that
most of us can imagine a list of far more worrisome contaminants that
could turn up in hobby-produced honey -- or commercial honey -- than
aluminum.

_One_ antacid available at the local store contains far more aluminum
that one could obtain by deliberately licking all the honey off an
aluminum extractor part.

Nonetheless, if planning a new commercial extracting line and spending
big money, it is wise to consult the authorities for the latest
expectations, as they may 'grandfather' existing lines, but have more
stringent specs for new operations.  In my experience, the authorities
often have a poor understanding of the industries they inspect and
therefore set silly rules, but often it is not worth trying to educate
them.  It is easier to simply comply.