From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 2015 18:01:13 -0700

> Superinfection exclusion and the long-term survival of honey bees in
> Varroa-infested colonies
> http://www.nature.com/ismej/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ismej2015186a.html
> http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/ismej.2015.186

Thanks for posting this John and Ghislain--you beat me to the punch : )

Dr. Martin approached me a couple of years ago to help him obtain funding
for this project through Project Apis m (for which I'm a scientific
advisor), and I'm thrilled that the donors to ScientificBeekeeping can take
credit for putting several thousand dollars towards this research (which I
then donated to PAm in order to leverage additional funding).

This is an incredibly exciting finding, as suggested in the author's
closing paragraph:

"The discovery of a potential SIE mechanism in honey bees gives those
wishing to limit or eradicate the sources of honey bee colony decline the
possibility of active intervention. For example, in the citrus industry,
where SIE is used to reduce crop losses by inoculating plants with a benign
variant of Citrus tristeza virus to protect against infection by a more
pathogenic form. Accordingly, the direct introduction of DWV type B could
provide a form of biocontrol against further collapse of European honey bee
colonies in the face of Varroa infestation."

Stay tuned!

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA