From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2011 17:47:54 -0300
Bob and Jerry, Jerry and Bob

As you both seem to be the people that have check many locations, do you
have noted anything particular with the water hardness and its incidence
with Nosema?

A while back Fernando Esteban from Argentina pointed us out towards the
research of Gabriel Sarlo (also from argentina) about the influence the
calcium ions might have on the polar tube extrusion from the nosema spore.

I ask Gabriel and he said he is still puzzle. That literature points to both
directions. Calcium concentration helps activate or diactivate the polar
tube extrusion depending on the type of nosema and the type of host. Nothing
much done with Apis. He is inclined to think that bees excrete calcium to
the ventriculum depending on genetic, diet and environmental conditions,
therefore on a continuos change, sometimes the gut conditions might help
spore multiplication. He also reckons that on areas with harder water nosema
problems are bigger. He is inclined to think that a reduction of Ca might
inactivate the spore.

I then went onto Dr. Cramer web site, and two of his papers about
Aspergillum in humans talk about calcium. Through Randy we ask Dr. Cramer
and he tends to agree with the above, but need to do controled trials after
he develops the antibodies to the cerane polar tube.

So I repeat my question (speculation), have you noticed a relation between
water hardness and nosema incidence?

--
Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.