From:
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 18:30:56 -0700
Ok, the skunk question generated some new discussion.  I've tried the
pepper, not much luck.  The nail trick works.  Best solution, if you can
afford it, is to raise the hives on stands.  Put my whole research yard
on big "sawhorses", lifting the hive up about 20 inches from the ground.
Skunks aren't good climbers and aren't very tall.  Lots of tracks, but no
digging and no pellets full of bees - best solution I've found in 20
years.  Easy for a hobbiest, impractical for a commercial beekeeper.  An
added plus, sure saves the back.

New question:

Our bees that fly between their hive and feeders in an indoor flight
chamber appear to bloat on sugar solution.  The abdomen bulges, extends,
and they walk around dragging it and seem incapable of flying.  Train
them to use water in a separate feeder and this problem seems to go away.

We were using a heavy syrup.  Any ideas of what is happening here?  We
have some guesses, but no answers.

Jerry Bromenshenk