From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 14:47:53 -0600
>     I would like to know if anyone on the list has noticed that about =
> 60% of queens tend to move down to the lower brood chamber and don't =
> need reversing.  Has anyone had similar results?

Yes, with good feed and good bees, the queens will usually go down within a week
of when one might be reversing.  All, considered with the extra, labour and
risks and losses associated with reversing, we have stopped doing it and
emphasised good beekeeping and feeding instead.

If one scrapes the top and bottom bars too much and has too much bee space
between the boxes (I'll bet that 75% of the people on the list do), the queens
are inhibited from going down by the gap.  Even the 'proper' bee space will
discourage them.  If you have some ladder comb, or the frames stuck together a
bit, your queens will go down without need to reverse.

> Can someone recommend
> an approximate date to reverse in northern NY?  Maple pollen is coming =
> in really well right now and most hives are under going stimulate
> feeding since march 1st.

Reversing can be done early with strong hives (10 or more full frames of bees
with full frames of brood top & bottom) and must be avoided until after frosty
nights for weaker ones.

My advice: don't bother unless you are sure you know.  It does not do a whole
lot of good, and can do lots of damage.

allen