From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2017 16:49:13 -0400
> It would help if posters to the list would post their general location when referring to information that is location pertinent,  i.e.  Upper Illinois,  Central California,  Southwest Indiana,  LA (Lower Alabama). Mike in LA

Absolutely correct. I think we are all so familiar with each other that at times we forget that there are many others listening in.

My location is Ithaca, NY, in the heart of the Finger Lakes. At one time, the best beekeeping region in the country (late 1800s). There was very little forest, most of it had been cut to grow white clover and buckwheat.

Now, the region has reforested itself and there is not so much agriculture. There are the famous Finger Lakes vineyards, and some corn for dairy silage. Mostly woods and shrubby pastures.

Our main honey plants are assorted spring flowers such as invasive honeysuckle, hawthorn, Robinia, etc. In summer we pray to get a good basswood flow. I got about 70# per hive this year.

This is followed by a long lull and then the invasive Japanese knotweed comes into bloom. Unfortunately, it looks like it may get rained out this year. The last hurrah is the goldenrod.

Pete
"Ithaca is Gorges"
"Centrally Isolated"
"25 square miles surrounded by reality"