From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2013 20:44:03 -0400
>Here in Natick MA (42.27861, -71.35464) one of my 2 hives has had a fantastic spring.  They filled 5 shallow honey supers and then I ran out of equipment (thank you wax moths) so I decided to extract.

Happy to hear you had a good surplus!
Had a good early flow here in SW Pa also.
But a miserable season for swarms
and cutouts.

I was wondering about the wax moth
damage, when did it occur?

If its storage, try stagger stacking,
ventilating, and if possible store
equipment with 8 frames spaced
out in a 10 frame hive.  This hinders
waxmoth from spreading quickly,
reduces damage, and aids in the ability
to inspect periodically during storage
for waxworm.

Waxmoth is a bigger problem nowadays
due to the deadouts which are the only
consistency in beekeeping anymore.

This season, I had good surplus from the
mature colonies.  But young colonies
from last year all perished over winter
due to depletion of stores, forage issues
and perhaps cluster winter comb transition
problems.

I usually winter young colonies in singles,
due to the shortage of equipment.  But this
season, I supered all my singles and will
winter them that way, partly to protect
my unused supers from waxmoth, and also to
aid in successful wintering of these young
colonies.

Joe Waggle
SW Pennsylvania
www.facebook.com/Historical.Honeybee.Articles