From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:24:41 -0800
Every good story needs a villan, an antagonist, and every good news report I've heard over the last decade feels compelled to tickle my "fear" trigger.   Good news just ain't worth reporting anymore.

There used to be a saying, "If it bleeds, it leads."  It's like driving by a car wreck, and the nightly news seems to be staging a lot of car wrecks to keep us glued to the TV screen.  So-called, "talk radio" is the same alarmist blather pushing us like lemmings over the cliff of paranoia.

I've given up on the modern news media.  It's become a cannibalistic industry to see who can conjure up the worst-case scenario, then catastrophize the potential problems in order to capture the biggest audience share and the highest ratings.  Even the morning "news" shows on the network push the negativity angle on a report "you won't want to miss."

Oh, and yeah:  every good news story needs to afix blame.  No one reporting the "facts" seems to be held accountable.  It's hard to refute irresponsible reporting.

I have a hard time believing it's really that bad.  Maybe some day we can change the name of these televisions shows to the "Evening Opinions."

Thanks, Peter.....rant ended.

Grant
Jackson, MO