From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 2015 13:13:43 -0400
>> science and the belief in science is still a
>> system of values (call it a belief system
>> or world view and those words work
>> equally as well.

> As a member of the scientific profession,
> I must object. There are many scientific
> theories which rest on questionable evidence
> and require a degree of faith in the methodology.
> However, there is a vast body of scientific
> knowledge which reflects actual experience
> of the real world.

Both comments miss the point entirely.

Science, when done properly, is the complete and total LACK of any "belief"
in anything not supported by objective metrics, combined with a willingness
to completely upend one's view when new convincing evidence appears.

But we are limited by language and common courtesy to not pummel people with
tedious recitations like "I conclude, based upon the available evidence..."
so we actually say "I think", or "I believe", as it is rare that one has
personal knowledge of enough evidence to support a flat statement, and most
people don't want to take the time to listen to a blow-by-blow account.