From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 11:40:50 -0400
In a message dated 97-07-26 01:56:22 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Lawrence Cooke)
writes:

<< One side of one frame has a patch of foul brood I think ... It may be
 the same frame I put into the upper brood box to encourage the bees to
 move up.. at the start of the season. I installed new patties today.
 Will this keep it in check or do I have a real problem on my hands.I've
 read , the old school would burn the hive.. >>

Personally, I would burn the frame with the infection, because there a
zillions of spores on it.  If the rest of the frames are not yet infected, or
if they only have a cell or two, I would medicate repeatedly.  You'll have to
stop honey production, of course.
Keep a close watch.  Some hives will clean up infection. Others seem
susceptible, no matter how much they are medicated. It has to do with their
natural trait of good housekeeping.

One more thing.  I would make certain that it is actually foulbrood.  If you
put a frame above the excluder in a hive that was a bit weak, and there were
some cold nights following, the brood may have gotten chilled and died, or
gotten stressed and had a lot of chalkbrood or European foulbrood break out.
 Make certain it actually is American foulbrood.

If it is one of the stress diseases, it would also be a good idea to requeen.
The weakness that makes them susceptible is genetic. It might also help with
AFB.

[log in to unmask]      Dave Green      Hemingway, SC   USA
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html