Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2014 23:39:55 -0500
There has been much recent talk of "Honey Producers".

Tonight I presented the first class of the 2014 Absolutely Free Beekeeping Course to a mix of in-person and online participants, and after some fighting with recalcitrant hardware and software, one point that I made to the assembled novices was that only BEES produce honey.  (I made this point at 740p HDTV streaming resolution and in Dolby stereo, just because we can.)

So, when speaking of Honey Producers, I would expect that all would agree that we are speaking of bees of a certain age who can process nectar into honey.

And when speaking of working to advance the interests of Honey Producers, I would expect that we are speaking of methods of management, such as providing more drawn comb to increase the efficiency of the important work they do.

But the fanning bees also contribute much effort into the process, so they should also be considered honey producers.
Not sure what could be done to make their jobs easier, perhaps more top ventilation.

So, I guess that what I am saying is that anyone wanting to promote the interests of Honey Producers would be talking about advancing the art and science of Bee Husbandry.  I'm not sure I've really ever heard of any specific techniques beyond "super early, super every box you have", and my own suggestion to "harvest early, harvest often" that can tangibly improve yield per hive across a typical mix of hive strengths that any operation is going to have during the blooms.

And those fanning bees make it clear that even just blowing around hot air has significant benefit to impact to ones' community, so there is hope for beekeeping discussion groups.