From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 2015 11:34:49 -0400
> If we trap mites with drone comb are we breeding for a mite that can tolerate (and perhaps do well in) worker comb? ... and removing (or reducing) the mites' preference for drone comb?

The mites already prefer drone comb because the cells are bigger and the develop time is longer. Early in the season, all the varroa are in drone comb. Later, when the populations get higher, they get less choosy. The concept with drone trapping is to trap most of the mites and kill them. Very few, if any mites, would be left to breed. But their preferences wouldn't have changed, they still prefer drone comb.

Look at this way: we all like nice bathrooms, nobody likes to use an outdoor privy. But it some evil person took away all the nice bathrooms, we'd go outside, even in the winter! But that doesn't change the fact that we still prefer to sit inside where it's warm, well lit, and smells good.