From:
"Susan L. Nielsen" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 May 1998 10:29:09 -0700
Dave Cawley says:

>        I'd feel safer with city pollen than country, pesticide sprayed
>crops. Most city people I know don't really spray their flowering plants
>as much as the country fokls do their crops.

Well, now, I dunno. Here in Oregon, studies by the State have
shown that better than 90% of homeowners who use garden pesticides
and herbicides use them in excess of label guidelines, or use
them with inappropriate timing or on inappropriate plants.

Furthermore, the labels on agricultural products, and the State
rules for application, are formulated for large-scale applications
in large areas, not for use on small plots adjacent to other
small plots, with the result being a far more intensive chemical
load than is really intended by the manufacturer. Further furthermore,
chemical overload in the city and in suburbs runs off into commonly
held waterways and systems which flow through densely shared
grounds, meaning that chemicals used in one yard combine with
chemicals used in other yards. The synergy that results is dynamic
and unpredictable.

It's 4:30. Do you know where your bees are?

Susan

--
Susan Nielsen                   | Beehive: If you build it,
[log in to unmask]            | they will comb.