From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:44:35 -0500
[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>antibiotic use will negatively impact the bacteria that do keep the chalkbrood in check...with predictable results.
>again, this is well studied, and i don't expect you will have any trouble finding references to these studies.

comment:
I wonder why you don't tell us where you got this tidbit, instead of
making me do all the leg work.

I found this on my own:

"Detection and Identification of a Novel Lactic Acid Bacterial Flora
Within the Honey Stomach of the Honeybee Apis mellifera"
Tobias C. Olofsson, Alejandra Vasquez
Curr Microbiol (2008) 57:356–363

Pretty interesting. They used one regular hive and one "small hive"
(nuc) to conduct their study. Their own conclusion:

> What we have discovered can be seen as *perhaps the beginning* of a new line of research <

* * *

Interesting side note from the same journal:

Bacteriocin-producing lactic acid bacteria
(LAB) are believed to be associated with many types of
fermented food. The present study reports the identification
of lactic acid bacterium MS27 producing a bacteriocin
isolated from the Tsuda-turnip pickle, which is a Japanese
fermented food, and characterization of LAB coexisting
with the bacteriocin producers in the Tsuda-turnip pickle

"Characterization of Lactic Acid Bacteria Coexisting with a Nisin Z
Producer in Tsuda-Turnip Pickle"
Yuji Aso, et al