From:
lee bumgarner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2017 09:02:00 -0400
in re

And finally a question... does the shb nematode thingee work??? Is there any data to suggest it is in anyway effective???

and

I purchased  40 bags of Nematoades this year,   no joy,  it appears zero effect,  but in fairnes this for us was a super dry year and Nematoades did not have the soil moisture to survive.      At the moment I am very undecided if I wil try them again.

>>i opted for this method because a veteran beekeeper in the area indicated his experience w/ guardstar in our very humid conditions vaporizing on ground contact & killing bees in the hive & because my fellow beekeeper whose shb bomb i treated doesn’t use poisons.

directions from the nematode vendor (southern insectaries) indicates wetting  ground after applying nematodes. i relied on next day rain to do this.

i also have been using traps w/ mineral oil to capture shb.

i dont have a way to measure effectiveness but anecdotally i did not observe shb larva in ground around hive when i prepped for clover planting but i did see very live, fat, large, stark white 2” grubs in the ground that looked very different from shb in pollen patties in the hive. seems like they should’ve been killed off & not be live.

i’m not entirely certain this worked either. next time i try any shb treatment mode, i’ll figure a way to measure results.

lee bumgarner
sent from my iphone. pls excuse terseness, abbreviations, & typos.