From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 22:14:57 +0100
Tracheal mites have been a prominent pest for Apis m.sp. for a "reasonable period of time" and therefore has been attacked by
many different types of treatment.
Noting how quickly V.j. has managed to invest in resistance traits, have tracheal mites ever as far as we know managed to
produce a resistant type to a particular treatment?

Also, putting it simply:

- why do the bees in the N. American continent suffer so badly from these mites - is it due to a particular strain of
susceptible bee gene base that is so widespread?

I stand to be corrected and informed - but as far as I am aware, bees in Europe are attacked, and more so at certain periods
- but there is not the ever present threat that if the bees are not treated then survival is at risk.
It is not a major pre-occupation for European beekeepers.

So, how come the America's continue to have this enormous problem?

And why has it not been dealt with to arrive at bees that are "resistant".

I realise that there has been importations to try and deal with the problem - but as mentioned, why the continued great
disparity?

Waiting to be treated with the tone of "Where's he been for the last 20 years" type of attitude!

Peter