From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:12:15 -0400
On 14-Oct-08, at 2:14 AM, randy oliver wrote:

> Acetic-fumigated combs appear to have some benefit in CCD cases, but
> not as much as one would expect.

Hi Randy and all

My winter losses were very high last spring.  Following advice on
this list and elsewhere, I fumigated the deadout combs with acetic
acid.  After 12 days in stack with acetic acid 3 of these deadout
boxes were used, without being aired out, as the second  brood
chamber on 3 newly purchased strong singles.  Three days later the
new brood chambers were full of bees in spite of the obvious acetic
acid odour.  Freshly hatched larvae were seen on the 6th day in all
three boxes.  These hives appeared not to have been affected by the
acetic acid odour present. A month later, I received a call from a
person with a swarm in her tree(8 km from me).  I grabbed another box
from the acetic stack and headed off to the swarm.  The swarm was
large on a low limb of the tree, 3 ft from the ground, and "a piece
of cake".  I placed the super on the ground and shook the branch
dropping the swarm into it.  The bees crawled in and out of the box
for a while when I saw the queen, picked her up, and put her between
the frames.  Later, the bees still were not totally committed, I saw
the queen again and put her in again.  I don't have a queen cage and
have never needed one before but the swarm was later on a higher
branch of a different tree.  This time I was a total failure, or,
they didn't like the smell.  The remaining deadout boxes are still
stacked in the yard but no waxmoth damage.  Comments?

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W