From:
"Dirie, Ahmed" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:06:01 -0800
On organic honey: I guess that these are very important questions to
consider for all organic related farming business especially organic honey.
1. What is the foraging distance of your bees? If the bees are collecting
pollen and nectar from chemically-polluted plants outside your isolated
apiary then the organic product is questionable. Migratory beekeeping will
not qualify I guess.
2. How safe is your surface and underground water in the particular area?
The water sources could be contaminated by chemicals from residential areas,
industries, crop and animal farms, golf courses etc. In fact, I know someone
who sells organic veggies to his golf club mates while his farm is located
right next to the golf course. He argues by saying "I don't spray any
chemicals and he is isolated from other farms.
3. How long you will be protected from expansion of residential, industry,
and agricultural expansions? You could be organic beekeeper at present, but
you might not be in a 2-5 years to come.

I love to know comments and reactions on this thread.

Ahmed Dirie