From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 20:51:03 -0700
At 08:48 PM 7/15/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I'M A COMMERCIAL QUEEN REARER FROM CHILE, ALTHOUGH I'M SWISS. I REAR
>QUEENS SOUTH FROM SANTIAGO BESIDE THE CORDILLERA.

>NOW AN ELECTRICITY COMPANY BUILTS AN HIGH TENSION LINE (500 MV) NEAR
>MY FECUNDATION NUCS AND HIVES. MY QUESTION IS IF THE BEES WILL BE
>HARMED OR AT LEAST DISTURBED WITH THE ELECTROMAGNETICAL FIELD THAT WILL
>SURROUND THE LINE.

Don't know about the bees but a study of people living under or in the area
of some High Tension lines in Fresno California discovered a high rate of
cancer in the neighborhood, mostly in their children. Scientific study by
the government regulatory body that gave the permit has proven it is not
the power lines but did not not explain the high rate of deadly brain
disease in the children or satisfy the people who live there.
I believe that at least one school was closed and the children moved to
other schools just to protect them from the harmless power lines.

>ARE THERE ANY STUDIES OR ANTECEDENT ABOUT THIS MATTER ? (THE NEAREST
>APIARY IS ABOUT 100 METERS FROM THE LINE).
>FINAL, I HOPE MY QUEENS ARE BETTER THEN MY ENGLISH !!

All I know for sure is that when they put these harmless high voltage lines
 across one of the ranches I keep bees in they also went around and
grounded every gate to protect people and farm animinals from the harmless
electricity and within two years problems developed with leak after leak in
the under ground oil transmission lines that the power lines cross over in
several places. All, I am sure can be proven not to be the fault of the new
power lines if they pay enough for the study.

The only thing I have seen myself out of the normal is when these lines pop
and ark in the dampness of a foggy morning, all harmless I am told, the
bees will ball the lower insulators sometimes in groups as large as a
shocker football. I suspect this has something to do with the harmless
ozone being produced by the arcking electric ropes. Never stayed around
long enough to see if the bees come home, or glow in the dark, but as long
as you don't have to live under those harmless HT lines I would not worry
about it.

ttul Andy-
Los Banos, California