From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 08:45:56 +1300
> If we cannot keep packages coming out of the south with SHB and high
varroa
> loads how are we to keep new beekeeping problems from coming in from
outside
> our borders. Especially when those breeders are on the honor system?

It is a misrepresentation of the requirements to export to describe
potential Australian and NZ bee breeders as being an an 'honour system'.
The systems and compliance requirements to receive a permit to export *far*
exceed the requirements (are there *any*?) on your domestic suppliers of
packages.  The repetition that there is no 'inspection' involved, and that
it is an 'honour' system appears as a systematic approach to manage
opinions.  The fact is that any export permit obtained here will involve
more rigour than any internal sale of bees in the US.

The problems that you were describing were entirely of a domestic nature -
your own suppliers providing packages with high varroa loadings.

Nick Wallingford
http://www.beekeeping.co.nz