From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2008 23:00:55 -0500
Hello All,

> Discussing the results of experiments to test whether irradiating or
> fumigating combs helps IS NOT the same as advising people to do this.

Have you heard the CDs?

 > So, folks like Bob take a risk any time that they give advise  that is
> inconsistent with a label.

Despite what I have said on BEE-I and learned from the folks at the National
convention ( also other beekeepers) *if* a beekeeper would purchase a
container of acetic acid the container would have a label. The person is
required by law to read the label. *if* they then decided to use in any
other manner then how could they find me liable? This has been discussed on
another list but not to my knowledge on BEE-L.

The same holds true for methods about other off label methods talked about.

The law is the applicator has to read the label.
then follow the label.
very crude example:
If a beekeeper at a convention said acetic acid was safe to drink and the
beekeeper went home and drank a glass without reading the label then the
drinker of the acetic acid has know one to blame but himself as he broke two
rules. he did not read the label and he did not follow the label.

I understand what you are trying to say Jerry but I think I have approached
the subject very carefully.

I approached my ABJ neonicotinoid article the same way. A waste basket full
of rejects before the final copy.
As research becomes available to support my thoughts then the next article
will point a stronger finger in a certain direction.

I have finished rereading The Pollinator Protection Handbook of Johansen &
Mayer. I am going to ask my friend Dr. Conner about another edition with the
new neonicotinoid information. The book was well done but I read many things
which were believed back then which have since been proven wrong about the
effects  of Temik, fluvalinate and coumaphos. I was going to list some
points
but the list is long. However here are the pages I found the most
interesting, 42, 52, 76, 79, 84, 88, 94,96, and 97 for those with a copy. I
took notes but am too tired tonight ( have been out of state) to post my
comments for the list. The authors did an excellent job of presenting what
was known back then.

Busy week ahead! Truck loaded for making splits and queens in Tuesday.
Unloading bees from Texas on Thursday.
I think I have got another hernia from lifting a heavy commercial battery
out of a loader. So I think I am going to finally retire from commercial
beekeeping. Will be my third hernia in the same area. This is my 48 the year
in beekeeping. I love beekeeping but have never been able to simply sit in
an office and give orders.

also:
I expressed warnings in my posts concerning acetic acid use (which were not
expressed about the use at the national convention) and talked about a face
shield, rubber boots, gloves , respirator and full chemical suit.

I stand behind what I posted in order to possibly help my fellow beekeepers.
Those on the list which were at the nosema seminar or have purchased the 3
CD set will say the people doing the seminar did not explain the hazards of
acetic acid like I have done here. I agree with Peter & Bee Quick that
acetic acid fumigation might not be the best method for all beekeepers.

 If you go to www.conferencerecording.com
you can order the 3 Nosema seminar CD set
NBC98-317

From the label
Nosema Seminar:
"Dealing with the new nosema ceranae"
Drs. Eric Mussen, Stephen Pernal, Judy Chen, Mariano Higes

Excellent information in my opinion and I thank all the presenters for
sharing information!

bob